Seven Days in Ukraine

Dearest friends and family!

Let me answer your burning questions, yes Ukraine is freezing. Yes, we have gotten a bunch of snow. Yes, I have debated the Ukraine Russia war with my Host Dad. No, I haven't died. Up until now Ukraine has been the worlds most interesting and intense country I've ever lived in! My trip to Ukraine has been eventful with a quick synopse of the events up until now: Our flight out of SLC was delayed three hours, we almost missed out connecting flight, none of our groups luggage showed up in Kyiv, six hours on a bus to get to my new flat, I had to visit the ER for a dislocated shoulder, our groups phone plan wouldn't work, and I got lost for four hours the other night. Now, during all of these crazy events all I could do was laugh. My group is hoping that we will get all of our bad events out of the way and all that will be left is good one! 

Now, onto the amazing things about Ukraine! First, my ILP group. Holy crap, I got incrediably lucky. My group is made up of nine people; eight girls and Zac. Everyone has been so hopeful and happy! We all get along great! I don't think any of have fought even after all of our crazy adventures! We already planned some of our trips! Last night was our first day of teaching, after we finished we went to a Eva (grocery store) and bought icecream. It was -13 and snowing, but we all sat in the snow and ate the closest food to home! My group is already friends and I am so happy to have every single one of them! 

Second, my host family. Honestly, I was extremly worried about living with a host family. How would it work for me intruding into their lives? But all of my worrying was for not. Living with a host family has been incrediable for me. They are to welcoming of me, they wait up for me every night and we talk about our days, the invite me to hang out with them all of the time, they even taught me how to play chess! Everyone in my host family speaks English, except for my younger sister Era. I have five members of my  Ukrainian family, Dan (host Dad) Oxcaha (host Mum), Nikolia, Daniel, and Era. Nikolia and Daniel go to a bilingual school, they speak Ukrainian, Spanish, and English! Its funny when they try to tell me something in English but it comes out as Spanish. Next week I am going to their school as their show and tell! Oxcaha and Dan both have jobs, they work everyday, except for Sunday, 10:00-8:00. They own their own line of shops which vary from selling boots to international connections. They have let me into their home with so much love and I can't wish for a better home! 

My favorite story from the week: Last Friday, I got to my flat around 10:30 at night. I had imagined my new siblings would be asleep and I would have the same option. I was extremely mistaken. When I first arrived my host Mum hugged me for a solid minute. She showed me how to get to our flat and told me that they had been waiting for me since 1:00! As we entered our flat, I noticed they had written me a sign that said "Welcome to Ukrainian Home" then I was suddenly being talked to by three children. I was shocked! They had waited to have dinner with me! We had potatoes, turkey, and herbal tea. They asked me questions about America and about myself, I asked them about their lives. They told me all about the upcoming holidays and all of the things they wanted to show me on the 21st! (We're going to the city center to see an opera!) We talked until 2:00 in the morning! Then Oxcaha told me we needed to go to sleep, but it was such a good night!

Okay! I hope you all have a good week!

-Ashlyn



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cathedral's and Squid Soup