Cathedral's and Squid Soup

Dearest Friends and Family,

I've decided that Kyiv has the worlds most beautiful cathedrals. Even in negative seven degree (celcius Dad, don't worry) weather I couldn't help but find myself smiling at my friends jokes and how captivating each part of the original city is. Deciding to explore one the oldest cities in the world was something I'll never regret. Between the bright colored buildings, the icicles hanging dangerously off the window sills, tiny shops full of ancient soviet souvenirs, and the uneven cobblestone roads I couldn't help but fall even more in love with the city that had already stolen my heart.

As we were leaving the metro we stumbled on "The Golden Arch". I don't know why it's called that when the entire building is made of this intense orange-red brick and dark brown wood. My host Mum explained to me that back in the fifth century, when Kyiv first became a city, this was the "arch" travelers entered through to reach the second biggest city. After taking some pictures we decided to find some where to stop for lunch. Zhenya recommended a Chinese noodle shop. Which meant that's where we were eating. As we sat in the restaurant we each got a menu, unfortunately I still can't read Russian,Ukranian, or Chinese. Like children at a restaurant we had to go off of pictures. I decided on a orange curry looking soup. Immediately after our group had ordered, I was informed that the soup I had chosen had shrimp, seaweed, and squid. I was a tad nervous but dove in face first when the dish arrived. It was amazing! Squid is officially a strange food being crossed off my bucket list!

After lunch we started walking toward the city center. On our way we stopped at an Orthodox church, who's name is unknown to me. The church is a tiny, light blue with white edging and the iconic golden domes. The church blends in with the sky on a clear day, but its bells could be heard two blocks away. It isn't a practicing cathedral anymore but it is still used in the Easter egg celebrations in the spring.

Just down the road from the unnamed church is St. Andrews. St. Andrews is modeled after a cathedral in Moscow. It was destroyed during the regain of the U.S.S.R. but was rebuild in the 90's.  It's a huge light blue cathedral. It has the same golden domes as the church, but it differs from any other cathedral I've ever seen. It has hand painted images of Christ and his work covering the front part. They aren't very large but you can see them from the court yard. The churches bells can be seen from the front also. My group leader, Mickelle, was explaining to us that her last set of host parents had been married here. In the court yard, there is a statue of three men. I asked my host Mum about it when I got home, and she told me she didn't know anything about who those men are. She went on to explain that a lot of the origins of Ukraine aren't known because the U.S.S.R. destroyed most of the information on the founders. It was forbidden to be spoken of, the only thing that mattered was the U.S.S.R..  Hearing that story and standing the court yard of this rebuilt cathedral makes all the stories of the U.S.S.R. more real to me. All of the struggles the people went through and how hard it must have been to be oppressed for over fifty years. I think I often forget the people who are oppressed during history because at one point their government is the "bad guy". In World War Two I forget about the German people who were forced into a war they may have not wanted, how the people of Russia, Ukraine, and surrounding countries that were terrified of their government listening threw their walls, or how the people of Cuba struggled during the 60's. It makes me more and more thankful that I'm not in constant fear just because of where I live. Okay, mini rant over. Moving on.

After St. Andrews we walked down to St. Michael's. We didn't walk into the court yard, we stood across the street in the line of shops; but even from a distance I decided this is my favorite cathedral. The dark ivory green and gold domes mixed with a mint and white base drew my eye the moment I saw it a city block away. I can't believe how breath taking the cathedral is. I can't do justice for how magnificent it is in real life. It is heart stopping. It towers over all of the apartment buildings surrounding it, you can't miss it even if you try too.  If you could only visit one place while you were in Ukraine I would recommend this one. While we were taking photos of St. Michael's, a man came up to us and in perfect English asked,"Are you with ILP?" Like an idiot I stood dumbstruck that this random man knew English, while Mickelle struck up a conversation with him! He explained that he knew all of the ILP groups and that if we needed any help he would be happy to give us a hand! He stayed and chatted with us for a few minutes before he left back to his shops! I'm still in shock that it happened!

To finish off this insane day we visited Lyiv Chocolate shop, home of the literal cup of chocolate. Now the sound of plain eight ounce cup of chocolate is either the most disgusting thing you've ever heard of or the best idea ever. Let me tell you, I wasn't expecting it to be as wonderful as it was. I ordered it since it is such a iconic menu item, at least to say I have tried it. But it was worth all 45 hryvnia ($1.66 US). I've already decided that next time we visit I am trying the ice cream with a chocolate shell, because there will be a second visit!

Have a great week! A special thanks to Zhenya for being both a tour guide/ model.

-Ashlyn






St. Andrews

St.Michael's 

View from Lyviv
"The Golden Arch"



"Mickelle and Zhenya"





Unnamed Church 






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Seven Days in Ukraine